* Chicken, cut into serving pieces -- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds
* Garlic, minced -- 3 or 4 cloves
* Coriander -- 1 tablespoon
* Turmeric -- 2 teaspoons
* Bay leaves -- 2
* Salt and pepper -- to season
* Water or coconut water (see Notes) -- 2 cups
* Oil for deep frying
1. In a large bowl, mix the chicken with the garlic, coriander, turmeric, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Refrigerate and marinate for at least one hour.
2. Add the chicken, marinade and water or coconut water to a large pot and bring to a boil over medium-high flame. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced and the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside to cool
3. Heat the oil in a deep fryer, skillet or wok. Add the chicken pieces and fry until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
4. Drain the chicken on paper towels and serve hot or at room temperature with steamed rice and a simple salad. Skim any crumbs or crispy bits from the oil and sprinkle them over the chicken as a garnish.